Re: price lists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lawrence Van Ameyde on June 19, 2000 at 20:20:59:

In Reply to: price lists posted by Tubastore.com on June 19, 2000 at 11:35:20:

This is just a general comment, and only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. Some people might say I've owned quite a few horns. I've dealt with Charlie Krause at BW and Jeff Rideout and Fred Merick at Custom for Tuba/Euph purchases. I've heard all sorts of comments about these and other similar retailers. But one thing I've noticed is if you treat people with respect and professionalism they in general will do the same in return.

These folks talk to "know-it-alls"(i.e. youngsters who generally realize around the time they're 23 or 24 how little they really know, I should know I, too, used to be one) all the time and I'm sure can spot a "poser" (i.e. all talk and no green etc.), but yet are generous with their time when treated with a little respect. OK, some might "it's their job, dummy", and this is true.

My point is this: we are a very small market, and nobody owes us anything, other than to treat us as we treat them. Our horns are expensive because a lot of specialized, hand done work goes into them and not many are sold, and because of this the tooling/marketing/research/gerenal overhead-to-horn ratio is pretty high.

Believe me, I don't want to pay any more than I have to for my tools, but I also try to keep in mind both sides of the coin.

My latest contact with one of these folks was with Mathew Walters of Dillon Music. I recently called him out of the blue to get in line for particular product. I had never talked to him before and I could tell he was EXTREMELY busy, yet he took the time to answer my questions in a very professional manner. I treated him like the professional that he is and he reciprocated.

I haven't always had great experiences, as a matter of fact there is one place that no matter how you approach them, they insist on treating you like you're a moron, having just fallen off the turnip truck!

In closing, as I step off my soap box, I try to approach equiptment buying in a profesional manner, and when I am not treated likewise, I vote with my feet
(read: DOLLARS).

Only my opinion......

Lawrence "I've got my flame retardant suit on now, boy" Van Ameyde

Follow Ups: