Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Europe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on June 20, 2000 at 10:51:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Europe posted by Gaz on June 18, 2000 at 05:06:52:

That is not correct. Being a student with Roger now, I can say he certainly doesn't force excerpts on us each lesson, but it does not mean he doesn't teach them. His main focus is neither on only playing solos. His focus IS on playing as a great musician. For instance, I went through 81 studies with Roger in only my first year because it's what I needed. I did solos AND excerpts around that as well and he drove me to play better no matter the sheet on the stand. There is a great deal of flexibility in what each student chooses to do with his or her lesson and each individual's needs are addressed accordingly. If someone wants to work on an orchestral piece, it's up to each student to take the responsibility to listen to the pieces and study the score and play the parts, Roger doesn't spoon feed it or hold your hand through it the way some teachers do.

As far as teachers in Europe, of course there's Roger in Lausanne. Other great guys are Mel Culbertson in Lyon (France), Anne-Jelle Visser in Zurich, Markus Hotzel in Germany, Bob Tucci in Munich. Those are the main ones I'm familiar with.

Follow Ups: