Re: What Microphone should I buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on June 20, 2000 at 23:51:44:

In Reply to: What Microphone should I buy? posted by Matt on June 20, 2000 at 23:22:32:

It kinda depends on how much you want to spend. If you break out the tuba source book and look at the appendix on recording you will see suggestions that could break anyones bankbook. Pro mics cost into the thousands. I personally opted for one of the $100 Sony digital stereo microphones. ECM-MS907 is the number to look up. It was suggested to me by a friend and I've been very pleased with the results that it gives me. The results are very presentable, picks up the low register just fine, and could be very useful for making audition tapes. I was actually afraid the first time I recorded myself I just knew that I would hate how I sounded. Instead I was very pleased although there will always be plenty to work on.

This mic is considered semi-pro by Sony and is supposedly designed for use in digital recording(read:minidiscs). I've used it with my minidisc recorder and get great results. It is also extremely easy to set up.. just plug it in, turn it on, set either 90 or 120 degree seperation, and point it in the right direction. It comes with a wind muffler and carrying case and I was able to find one on the internet with a little searching for around $80. Sony also makes a slightly more expensive stereo digital mic that I would presume would provide even better results. I think it was around two or three hundred.

Good luck!
joseph

Follow Ups: