Re: Re: PARADE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 21, 2000 at 01:54:24:

In Reply to: Re: PARADE posted by Morris Kainuma on June 21, 2000 at 01:12:07:

Thanks for straightening me out. I'm sure that I mixed up "closed two months ago" with "closed after two months".

Yep, young M'stro Brown said that in Manhattan there are about three or so guys that could do the upright bass / tuba double adequately enough to get by, and usually ONE of them was available to play. (He said they sort of took turns doing this show, and doing other gigs.) My strongest doubles are ELECTRIC bass (classic guitar background) and euphonium. Unfortunately, Mr. Brown insists on an upright bass ("arco", etc.) However, we are experimenting with doubling up differently in certain places, and I have "permission" (as he is EXTREMELY open and easy to work with) to carefully "fish around" for places to fill in where trombone parts have been "skeletonized" for the tour, etc. A plus for the show, the very best bassist in Memphis, John Chiego, is playing upright. Listening to John play is worth missing out on the "doubling" fee.

Technically, do you know whether the Tony Award was for Mr. Brown's music, or Mr. Sebesky's scoring?...both? There are some incredible "TOP DRAWER" adaptations of 20th century compositional techniques incorporated into this music, and WITHOUT sounding "20th century-ish".

As to the reviews, I suppose one can guess that the heavy storyline, along with the complete absence of curtain music and no "selling" of the ends of acts, makes for poor reviews by traditional reviewers. Indeed, the applause is "light" in certain traditionally "applause-heavy" spots.

Follow Ups: