Re: What Microphone should I buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick M on June 22, 2000 at 07:39:13:

In Reply to: What Microphone should I buy? posted by Matt on June 20, 2000 at 23:22:32:

I agree with Thom, although I'm not an audio engineer (and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night) I've done a little recording here and there. The PZM mics were developed by Crown many years ago and the models sold at Radio Shack are probably a Crown OEM with a Radio Shack stencil.

You need to choose a mic with a large condensor that is fairly flat down way down in the bass range but not necessarily a mic specifically for bass instruments. From my experience the Crown mics are fairly flat, Shure mics are good and flat for vocals, and Audio-Technicas tend to seem a little bright (but in a nice way). If you are recording for practice playback you don't need a $200 mic, anything over $100 would be overkill. But if you want to record something for audition, rent a nice mic and see about using a room with great acoustics (recital hall, church auditorium) or get a small mixer and digital effects unit to give it that resonant feel.

The challenge with recording a tuba is as much the room and mic placement as the kind of mic you use. I don't believe any mic is going to sound good if you cram it in the bell with a boom stand. You need a little distance for the sound to resonate in the room, a small room will make the sound stuffy, a larger one can will seem more open.

Good luck.

Rick

Follow Ups: