Re: Everything I ever needed to know...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cw on June 23, 2000 at 22:26:47:

In Reply to: Everything I ever needed to know... posted by Joe Baker on June 23, 2000 at 15:32:43:

You sound as if you are treading dangerously close to the same arguement that the "VH1 Save the Music" campaign is promoting. Music equals brain power, put your kid in the band and he/she will get better math grades.

"Everyone will notice that I have mentioned nothing about developing musical skills, because as much as I love music I don't believe it is the greatest value of school band programs. I think that band may have been the most valuable part of my education, whether I had ever picked up a horn after high school or not!!"

I could not disagree more with that statement. Music should be taught for it's musical merit and in order to develop the individual that can appreciate the aesthetic beauties of music. Not to teach discipline, it is only one of the by-products of the deeper issue. Music is the force that drives the hair on the back of your neck up in an emotional moment, it is the reason a tear forms in your eye when the climax of a melody pulls at your soul. This is not meant to say that only sophisticated listeners experiencing a Puccinni opera will be moved by music. Look at film scores, the haunting music sets you on the edge of your seat, the collossal chords following the hero's tragic fall touch you. Even the wonderful nostalgic feeling that occurs when listening to the radio and hearing the song that reminds you of a particular moment in your past is among the reasons to teach music. This is a magical force that we can manipulate, please do so with the best intentions and do not sacrifice our profession in order to get better SAT scores.

Sorry about the soap-box speech.

Follow Ups: