Re: Any good 3/4 BB tubas outhere?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Horsch on June 26, 2000 at 12:32:40:

In Reply to: Any good 3/4 BB tubas outhere? posted by AT on June 24, 2000 at 09:01:38:

This might not be a relevant experience because you don't say why you are asking, but earlier this year I was finding that my lovable 43 year old Alex 164 that I've had for 43 years was simply too much horn, and I started looking for something smaller, lighter and with quicker and lighter valves. I looked for a 3/4 BBflat and my list included the Meinl-Weston 18, the Yamaha 621 and 641 (the latter is listed as 4/4, but is on the small side), a 3/4 VMI, and the Miraphone 182-4U, and I tried a few others that either were (or came close to my idea of) 3/4. I went with the Miraphone. It meets all of my reasons for wanting a 3/4 horn, it plays well for me and without major intonation problems, and the obvious negative trade-offs from the Alex are less than anticipated. (I am a rank amateur, and I play mostly for myself and with a small group that also plays mostly for itself.) I need to be careful not to overblow the lower register, but on the other hand I've learned how hard I need to work to make the Alex work well down there. One surprise is that the Alex is more forgiving in my articulating notes in the upper register, even with a much bigger mouthpiece. Another thing to get used to is how easy dings and dents can come. The Alex has some dents, but it earned every one fair and square, none of this "How did that happen?" or "When did I do that?" or "I barely touched it." But I don't think the Miraphone is unusual in this regard among newer horns. In fact, it seems heavier and more solid than several others I tried. All in all, I"m pleased with the decision and, FWIW, can recommend the 3/4 Miraphone BBflat.

Follow Ups: