Re: Re: Manhattan Transfer and Tuby the Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on June 28, 2000 at 19:05:15:

In Reply to: Re: Manhattan Transfer and Tuby the Tuba posted by Eric on June 28, 2000 at 15:47:32:

How many readers remember the first ever Tubby, on two 10" vinyl 78s? A children's album if ever there was one, about 1946 of so. I believe Kleinsinger conducted, the soloist was Herbert Jaenkel, who some time in the 40s landed the LA Phil job, where he remained until he was succeeded by Roger Bobo in 1964 (65?). He played on a CC tuba. The narrator was Victor Jory, who may be identified in Gone with the Wind, as Mr. Wilkerson, who makes Scarlett "a right fine offer" for Tara, and she hurls a fist full of dirt in his face, and cries, "That's all the Tara you'll ever see!" Extremely rare and hard to get??!! Forget about it!

Also quite rare is a live performance from the early 70s by Chester Schmitz with Fiedler and the Boston Pops. Chester on his Alex F, and the narrator was the "French Chef" Julia Childs. She didn't sing, but she took a few amusing liberties. This performance was issued on a Polydor LP, but never on CD. This one's my favorite. Chester is fine, but honestly, it's Julia. She just cracks me up, and the approach is frankly more adult friendly.

Follow Ups: