Re: Cleaning out (female?) slides

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick F on June 01, 2001 at 10:13:24:

In Reply to: Cleaning out (female?) slides posted by Graham W. on June 01, 2001 at 00:09:53:

H.W. Padsaver Inc. makes a product that a lot of WW musicians use to clean out their instruments and protect their pads (see link below). They have what they call the 'Brass Saver' for cleaning out trumpets and cornets... and recently came out with a set for cleaning euphoniums & another set for tubas (these last two are not yet on their web site). I have the trumpet set and the euphonium set, which work really well cleaning out slides and their 'homes' (so to speak) on my euphonium. These newer sets are a bit bigger in diameter than the trumpet set. There is no metal to scratch the inside of the brass! Each set has three parts... (1) Valve casing brush with soft but aggressive fibers on both ends to clean out valve casings (the smaller end fits well within the ports of the valves). (2,3) There are two 'pull thru' snakes that have these same fibers in a curly-Q fashion that, at first glance, look too big to fit inside the tubing; but colapse as you start to pull the snake through. You can use them wet or dry.

Even though their website does not show their latest two products (tuba and euphonium), you can click on 'what's new' and you'll see picture and description of the Trumpet set. The euphonium set and tuba set are the same design, but longer and thicker.

I have no connection with H.W. Padsaver company. After learning of the 'brass saver' from the brass tech (Billy Berthrong of "Brass n' Reed") that cleans out my horn periodically, I am conviced that this is a good product.

FWIW
Rick F.

Follow Ups: