Re: Bourree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on June 02, 2001 at 19:13:52:

In Reply to: Bourree posted by Learner on June 02, 2001 at 13:45:51:

I am assuming you mean the Bouree from "Air and Bouree" by JS Bach arr. Wm J. Bell, published by Carl Fischer, copyright 1937. (Possibly republished since I got my copy years ago)
There are a couple quite different ways to approach this.

The first way is the approach Harvey Phillips took when he recorded it back around 63 or so. This was with piano accompaniment and the Bouree was as much a "technical showpiece" as anything else. By that approach anything from about half note = 88 to 104+ would be quite a commonly accepted tempo.

The second way is to go for a more authentic approach. If you have access to a good music library and recordings a bit of research and critical listening is advised. By this route one must first find the correct source title for the Bouree. It is not from "Second Violin Sonata". It is actually from "Partita No. 1 in B, BWV.1002" for unaccompanied violin, movement #7 'tempo di Borea'. You can get a midi file of this at www.prs.net/index.html then search under Bach; A good way to do part of your research into this work while doing a thorough study before performing it. The next step is to find a few good recordings of violinists performing this work and carefully study the phrasing they use. The result will likely be quite different to what you would expect if you use only the Bell arrangement as a source. It would be generally slower and much more free in tempo.

This was the approach I took when I was studying with Harvey at New England Conservatory (though we did not have internet access to midi files) and Harvey and even string teachers were more than happy with the result. I did this as an unaccompanied solo and it works for the "Air" as well and makes a fine way to demonstrate your true musicianship which includes 'getting behind the printed notes'.

Hope this helps you. Enjoy your Bach for tuba.

Follow Ups: