Re: What should I be looking for?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 03, 2001 at 08:48:08:

In Reply to: What should I be looking for? posted by Jimmy on June 02, 2001 at 00:10:55:

You've already gotten some pretty solid advice. I'll try to help you define "German" vs. "American" in sound. When I think of a German sound I think of lots of fundamental growl in the sound and tons of projection. I think in most cases, this type of horn gets to the back of the hall with the least amount of work. An American sound tends to have a better blend, more color in the harmonics series. However there are exceptions to the rule. The York-a-likes are very sought after because the tend to project far better than some of the other big American horns. I love the sound of the big old Conn's and Martin's (HUGE tubas), but they work best in a fairly large section. To get those monsters to project to the back of a hall takes a lot of work. Currently, the closest thing you can get new to the classic American sound is the new King BBb, the new Conn 52J/56J (CC), the Conn 5J (BBb), the Getzen G-50, Perantucci PT-20P (CC), PT-6P(CC), Meinl Weston 2165, Hirsbrunner HB-50, the Nirscl York model, and the Yamaha YCB-822 (possibly the YCB-862? if they ever make it). Figure every other horn that exists with execption of the Besson tubas and the Yamaha Besson clones has a distinctly German sound. There are some horns that attempt to bridge the gap, i.e. the PT-7P and the VMI Mel Culbertson models and they can change according to mouthpiece selection and other things.
I myself have switched back to a German horn, with that being the sound I enjoy the most and my first horn being a Mirafone I'm kinda attached to this sound. I play a MW-32 that seems to hold up in almost every situation and can still support and project through a band just like I need it to. I even know that my next horns, F and big CC, will be in this style. Nevertheless, I do enjoy the other concepts as well, especially when played by good players. Go to a place with a good selection some excerpts, solos, and etudes in hand, and see what works the best for you.
Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: