Re: amplifying the tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 03, 2001 at 18:51:00:

In Reply to: amplifying the tuba? posted by T. J. Ricer on June 03, 2001 at 18:27:16:

I like to use a saxophone "phantom power" mic with a clamp and a gooseneck - on the bell transmitted to the amp with a wireless system.

Both the phantom power box (with a wire up to the bell) and the FM wireless transmitter (with a patch cord from the phantom box) are wrapped up tightly in foam rubber and stuffed up inside the back area of the valve section.

The only drawback is that I can't set the tuba down on its bell when I switch to the string bass.

Electronics are not my area of expertise, but as a music store owner I have access to all of this stuff, and would try to be competitive. You might want to purchase a higher-quality FM wireless transmitter than the one that I bought for myself (??).

A long time ago, I used a Barcus/Berry pick-up that consisted of a 1/4 cylindrical pick-up that required drilling a 1/4" hole in the mouthpiece. That thing worked OK, but it required a pre-amp and also a good bit of tonal tweeking to get the sound round enough and the articulations less pronounced. These are no longer made, and the phantom-power bell mic sounds better anyway.

Follow Ups: