Re: Help me my canadian friends!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on June 06, 2001 at 01:18:42:

In Reply to: Help me my canadian friends! posted by Jeremy Noye on June 05, 2001 at 19:56:55:

U of Regina... John Griffiths is among the best, and a GREAT guy.. small school though, and I don't know much about it.

U-Victoria.. Gene Dowling... 'nuff said(though I heard a RUMOUR that he's retiring. I don't know anything official)

I believe Ellis Wean teaches somewhere in Vancouver.

U of Alberta - Calgary (I think). Michael Eastep. I know him only by reputation, but that reputation is a great one. Another notable note about that school is that it has a NAAPBIRT Certified instrument repair program. If I decide to leave Wisconsin and go back to Canada before I'm in grad school, there's a high likelihood that I'll end up there.

Wilfred Laurier University(somewhere in southern Ontario). Jane Manness is the studio instructor. She plays with the Kitchener-Waterloo symphony. I DO know that she's a great tubist and teacher, but I don't know anything about the school. The website is well done, beyond that all I know is hearsay.

U of Toronto - Chuck Daellenbach. I don't know the deal with the studio there(ie if it's taught by grad students), but do know that Jane studied with Chuck as an undergrad. As far as the music school, I HONESTLY don't think there's a better one in North America, and I mean that, but that's just my personal opinion.

If you've got a year to go, start checking them all out. I'm sure there are a good half dozen other schools in Canada with good programs... it's never too early, but it's eventually too late. Best of luck!

Anthony

Follow Ups: