Re: Solos easy for a begining CC user

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Mason on June 06, 2001 at 14:37:53:

In Reply to: Solos easy for a begining CC user posted by Jim O'Neal on June 02, 2001 at 19:59:35:

Hey, Jim! As has already been said before, I do not know your particular playing level, but if you are one the advanced students at your school, may I suggest that you take a stab at the Paul Hindemith Sonate for bass tuba? It got me into Juilliard as well as every other college I auditioned for. It is a wonderful piece, if a bit odd and random. The first movement tests your agility, being able to jump octave to octave at a moderate tempo. The second movement will really test your low range ability to hold out powerful low tones and still make them clear and defined. It moves so take your time with it. The third movement, my favorite, is difficult, yet it isn't. The challenging part of this mvt. is the cadenza. This is pretty much the ONLY part of the solo where Hindemith has left you a little bit of freedom to do whatever you want. It was always gratifying to reach that point because I had been musically restrained throughout the entire piece and was ready for a bit of liberty. I played this on a Getzen G-57 and got a lot of praise with it. After you have gotten more familiar with your horn, take a look at this piece and see what you can do with it. It's really challenging, but once you get what Hindemith is trying to do, you won't want to put it down! Happy playing and good luck with your new horn!

P.S. Encounters II isn't that hard!! It's easy to me! (Hehe, YEAH...RIGHT!)

Follow Ups: