Re: Eefer mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 06, 2001 at 16:47:59:

In Reply to: Eefer mouthpiece posted by kevin lungwitz on June 06, 2001 at 11:58:12:

Here are some things to consider:

First off, I'd do some personal experimentation aimed at establishing what rim diameter parameters are comfortable for you. Do it both ways, both smallest and largest that you are comfortable with. This can help you eliminate lots of possibilities right away.

Then, ask around to other players that use your model Eb and see what they use on it. If they're inclined to answer your questions, be sure and establish why they use the mouthpiece they mention and what kind of playing they do with that setup. Also, be sure to ask them about the intonation they experience from their setup.

Then, see if you can contact the manufacturer and get information on what they recommend for that model. Sometimes this info will be useless because they'll recommend whatever mouthpiece that they have a contract with rather than what really will work best. It doesn't hurt to ask because some manufacturers will give you this information and it will be legitimate and useful.

Then, order three or four candidates based on your research that look like probable hits. Take into account cup size, knowing that smaller ones may not work as well in ensembles but will work better for solos. By the way, having different mouthpieces for the same horn that sound differently and do different things well is an okay thing. I have three different mouthpieces that I use on my Willson Eb and they all are targeted at different sounds and situations.

When you get the candidates, be thorough in playtesting them. Check all ranges, sound quality, and especially intonation. You should get some pretty accurate vibes one way or the other with each mouthpiece. Send the ones that don't work back. After you are left with one or two choices, spend some time with each in a variety of playing situations. Do this for a long time, maybe months, and see how the mouthpiece feels in the long run. Very often, a mouthpiece will feel great the first week and then not so afterwards. Give yourself time to decide if you really like the overall package.

Anything you don't like at this point, sell on eBay and use the money to try out other options. I don't know about others but I've only had the right mouthpiece come along right away once. Every other time the process took months or years. It just takes patience and a clear idea of what you want out of the horn. Don't be afraid to continue trying new mouthpieces out because you never know what new thing is going to fit even better.

You could also go to someone like Doug Elliot who custom designs mouthpieces to the horn and player. He may have already made a mouthpiece specific to your horn. His knowledge of mouthpiece tendencies might save you considerable time in the process.

I hope this helps you out. By the way, mouthpieces like the Conn 7B, PT 8S (old numbering system), Bach 24AW, Schilke Helleberg II, Laskey 30F, and Dillon PS3 are all models I have used with my various Eb tubas. All had their good and bad points. Ultimately, you have to find the right fit for you and your tuba. Good luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: