Re: 45SLP Titan?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DanN on June 06, 2001 at 23:43:20:

In Reply to: 45SLP Titan? posted by Jeff on June 06, 2001 at 21:55:24:

The Titan is a continuation of the Mel Culbertson line of instruments ie. the B&S Neptune CC and Apollo F tubas. Hence, the Titan is less of a simple 'six valve 45SLP', and more of a special Culbertson tweaked tuba.

Here we go:
Firstly, a small ponit, it isn't a 45 series M&W tuba as the 45 designates a 5 valve instrument. It is actually a 46 (six valve) series tuba. Steve C touched on the this in an earlier post.

I had a chance to play on a prototype Titan in 1999 and I played the production model at Musikmesse Frankfurt. Other than the addition of a sixth valve, there are only some changes in the wrap, compared to a 45SLP. Also, the left hand valves are the opposite of what you would find on a normal 46S. The Titan 5th valve is a flat whole step whilst the 6th valve is a flat half step, the opposite of my 46S.

Finally, they DO sound different. Whether it was the air having to go thru an extra valve, the changes in wrap or the other small Culbertson tweaks, I don't know. I didn't have enough time on the horn to make a genuine comparison with the 45SLP, only enough time to realise that it wasn't a 'simple six valve 45SLP'.

FWIW,
DanN

Follow Ups: