Re: Meinl Weston 25

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 17, 2001 at 22:38:08:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 25 posted by RC on June 17, 2001 at 22:12:17:

I think that the M-W 25 is a well made, generally good playing tuba. It should cost about $4000 new, give or take a few hundred $$. It has a number of nice features, but I have played many other BBb tubas that I like better. I don't find the 25 as responsive or melodic as other BBb tubas. Of course everyone's playing style is a little different and what's best for you depends on how you play.

I agree about the whole CC vs. BBb thing, but the fact is that most college programs encourage performance majors to use CC and/or F tubas. If you think that there is a high probability that you will be a performance major you should consider switching to CC now. If you take the Summer to learn the fingerings you can be up to speed by the Fall.

I would suggest NOT rushing into buying a horn right away as a Junior in high school. A relatively new Cerveny 681 is a perfectly fine horn to play for now. I would suggest taking some time to try out as many different horns as you can, both BBb and CC, before buying anything. Then get your teachers opinion on any of this before buying anything.

Follow Ups: