Re: Old MW2165 "tone" ring

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on June 18, 2001 at 01:13:53:

In Reply to: Old MW2165 "tone" ring posted by Paul Evans on June 17, 2001 at 01:43:21:

They are lead-soldered in place. Moderate heat with one or two wide-flamed torches should remove it quickly and easily. (One with experience might try those half-_ssed "deluxe" hardware store issue Bernzomatic "brazing" tips (screws on to a 14 oz. can of butane), which can be turned WAY down to just above a heat which is appropriate for normal lead soldering. That should heat something of considerable mass - such as a tone ring - quite quickly for liquidation of the lead solder and [careful, please !!] removal. Mostly heat the TONE RING itself, and NOT the bell. Again, an experienced person is really called for, here.) If your instrument is silver, an unpolished brass "ring" will be evident (along with the lead solder mess) where you removed the "tone ring". If your tuba is UNlacquered brass, the "ring" spot can easily be polished and blended in with the rest of the bell interior.

I've played both "tone-ringed" (rung?) and non-tone-rung 2165's. I honestly couldn't tell much difference. As a former Holton 345-CC owner and one who's tooted on the C.S.O. York for a short while once, I feel qualified enough to comment. I will defer, however, to those who believe that tightening a leather belt around the bell or duct taping it (whatever) makes an appreciable difference.

Follow Ups: