Re: Re: College and a job

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason Ladd on June 18, 2001 at 18:07:38:

In Reply to: Re: College and a job posted by Jarrod on June 18, 2001 at 16:45:24:

Yes, that is true. He became the principal tubist in the Rochester Philharmonic when he was a freshman and stayed from 1956-62 while he got his Bachelor's and Master's degrees.

As I posted earlier this week under a similarly related question a music degree is only one class away from getting you into a law school or a medical shool if you want either of those careers. I believe in the 1988-89 academic year up to 75% of first year med. students had a music degree. If you have a strong work ethic and you feel that you must do music you should give it a try. I have a number of friends decided music wasn't for them and were able to change majors or continue their music degree and figured how to get into graduate school in the field of their choice. There are also musicians such as Yo Yo Ma who have degrees in fields outside of music.

For financing a horn I would suggest getting a medium sized, used horn and use a unsubsidized student loan to pay for it. Today I got a quote to refinance my student loans at 5.85%. Inflation is usually at 5% so this is a great time to get a loan.

The main thing is deciding what you really want to do.

Follow Ups: