Re: Warm-Ups

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 18, 2001 at 20:51:42:

In Reply to: Warm-Ups posted by Dan Mordhorst on June 18, 2001 at 17:09:51:

There are so many approaches to warming up!

My main trombone teachers did not hold much of warming up, even if they held prestigeous places in top orchestras.

My horn teacher had a very stiff long note approach to warm ups.

My quite clever main bandmaster had a maxime of keeping things moving in legato to warm up.

Through my years of teaching I ended up with my own mix of legato exercises, which were not particularly original seen in the light of deities like Farkas and Kleinhammer. However I have not met other documented samples of my idea, that anything done in legato should also be done tongued.

As I am a profoundly legato style player I also know the flip side of this playing style: sloppy and glissed intonation. In tongued playing such shortcomings are unmasked in the most painful way: hit it or miss it!

When I worked, I wrote down exercises in hand. I only took up the computer after my retirement.

For the single student, that I was persuaded to teach since then, I wrote down the barebones version of my own exercises in a Finale file.

I was taught through my youth that any note involving the 3rd finger was somewhere between difficult and impossible. A sad approach! So I have preached that all notes within the compass of any player shall be developed equally.

The mentioned Finale file is written for that cornet student with traces of a further development for 4 valve instruments in the final scale section.

Owning and playing instruments in Bb, Eb, F, and G, I happen to think in the fundamental key of any instrument. Of course still aware of the concert pitch of any played note.

My point is, that those of you who can play your instruments with "trumpet" fingerings from treble clef notation are welcome to mail me privately within the next 36 hours or so.

I will then send you my Finale file in a batch mailing. It will be fairly easy to open, view, and print my file. From www.codamusic.com you can download, for free, the NotePad application, which does a double act of being a Finale reader and a down to earth engraving application. Available in Windows and Mac versions.

There is one catch, however, in so far as my file is texted in my native language. In most cases it is self explanatory. And then we have this board for batch replies to questions.

All the best

Klaus

Follow Ups: