Re: I Tip my Hat to You

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob T on June 19, 2001 at 20:09:39:

In Reply to: I Tip my Hat to You posted by Tracy H. on June 19, 2001 at 01:31:16:

I too gathered a great deal of support from this group when deciding to continue in music, although I never asked a question of anybody. You and I, as young musicians, are extremely lucky to have such a wealth of wisdom, experience and intelligence at our disposal.
The decision to pursue music as a career is never an easy one, but when I made it *for real* (which didn't happen until December of my senior year of H.S.) I realized almost right away that it was the correct decision, and I've been completely happy since (going to university this fall!). I had spent about a year and a half in agony over deciding between music and 'computer engineering'. What made me decide *for real* was simple: I started getting better and better at the tuba, and refused to entertain the notion of giving it up.
Understand, Tracy, that this decision of yours is by no means final; you should indeed think about it some more over the coming months to eliminate any and all doubt. With that said, I think it's great that you are starting to plan for a major in music, and like you said, any back-up skills will certainly help you out. I may be mistaken here, but I believe Mr. Chisham (the owner of this BBS) has a degree in performance and worked a computer-related job until he won his spot in his Army band. (?)
Anyway, best of luck, and congrats on the new horn (I may be getting a horn this summer!). Feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk about any of this.

Rob

Follow Ups: