Re: Re: Re: Oscar Lagasse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 22, 2001 at 08:43:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Oscar Lagasse posted by Klaus on June 21, 2001 at 08:40:26:

I started my lessons with Oscar just after Eric did, around 1974 I think, until 1979. Oscar is everything that Eric said and more. His lovely wife and I had many an interesting conversations. She was really amazing. In my mind, one of the things that sets Oscar apart from other teachers I have studied with is that Oscar would also teach you about life. Even though Oscar was totally happy with his life and marriage, he advised me never to marry another musician. He always spoke his mind and pulled no punches when it came to the truth. His lovely wife was blind when I first started lessons, yet she still played with the DSO. She was one hell of a player! I don't believe they ever had any solo repertoire written for them, at least none that I know of. It doesn't surprise me either because Oscar always used to chide me whenever I wanted to learn a new solo by saying "You're never going to make any money playing tuba solos!". Carole Nowicke is doing an article on Oscar for the historical archives of ITEA. She visited with him just last year and he's still all there. I'll always remember fondly those lessons in Pleasant Ridge...

Follow Ups: