Re: Practicing Mahler 1

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman (no, really) on June 23, 2001 at 20:27:13:

In Reply to: Practicing Mahler 1 posted by Chuck Jackson on June 23, 2001 at 18:26:03:

Hey Chuck!

Better late than never! I was fortunate to get my first performance of Mahler 1 out of the way early. Of course, youth knows little fear. I say that jokingly, because it's the performance that hooked me and keeps me playing.

The only trick on the D that I know is the one you probably already know - find a good place to breath with another instrument to mask it. As I recall, there are some pretty good places, but I don't have my score handy. ;^)

I'm not sure why this solo seems more nerve-wracking than others, especially An American in Paris where there is much more ample opportunity to choke both technically and musically. Perhaps it is that it's so exposed at such a low dynamic. Or maybe, as Ken suggests, it's hard to lock into the pitch center after the timp and bass have had a turn with the tuning. It IS just Frere Jaque in d minor.

At the time I played it, my teacher suggested that I think of the dynamic level more in terms of being haunting rather than soft. And if you're lucky, the maestro will like the tempo at something other than dirgissimo.

But if it makes you feel any better, the player on the Walter/Columbia recording in the CBS Great Performances Series air-balls the second high A. He made a great recovery, but if you listen for it, you can hear it. So look on the bright side - chances are your not playing it on what many consider to be one of the definitive recordings, to be heard over and over and over...

Enjoy yourself!

Steve

Follow Ups: