Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sharp vs. Flat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 24, 2001 at 04:11:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sharp vs. Flat posted by Joseph on June 23, 2001 at 20:41:29:

I happen to own a York Master BBb, that looks like a train wreck. I was mad, when I unpacked it at the carrier’s terminal. And I will never exchange anything with the dealer in question any more.

However the tuba plays pretty well and puts great foundations below bands. (Only I wondered why 1+2 combinations in the midrange were responding and resonating less well. Until I found a leaky soldering at the ring connecting the 2nd and 3rd branches. Tightening up that one fixed the problem). I am not sure that a total renovation will defend its costs.

Your thoughts on response are very valid to me. Getting my first 26K, that is a Conn, with the sole purpose to optimise the fulness of my bassbone sound by training on a larger bore, I used medium sized mouthpieces with quite a long stay on the Conn Helleberg. Leading me to use the 26K mostly for high range fun playing.

When going for a more serious Eb (the Besson 981) I came across the Denis Wick 1L Worked better for me, especially after the opening of the backbore. Being introduced to the large mouthpieces, I went on hunting. Coming up with the PT-50 as something of the largest and widest cupped to be had off the shelf. Albeit the shelf was in Munich at Bob Tuccis store.

Tested it right back from the PO box. Got hooked on it by one single factor. Not by the sound and response on the 981, even it that was what I went for, only a bit too bright. What really convinced me, was the effect it had on the 26K. Not only was intonation much easier in the high range, but the low range could now be used for real.

The brightness factor was fixed by an opening of the backbore. And I think that my use of the same PT-50 on the later arrived York and Conn BBbs confirms your point of the importance of the mouthpiece as the factor, that has an important influence of a players feel of a given instrument.

No matter which tuba, or other brass instrument, I play, I do not play an instrument for its own sake. I try to play out my concept of sound for that type of instrument.

One of the great mysteries in my brass life is the difference in the results of my playing euph and bassbones. All played on the same modified Yeo signature mpc. The euph sound is dark for a euph. The bassbones come out bright for bassbones. And I have pretty much the same feel playing all the three of them.

Klaus

Follow Ups: