Re: I need motivation!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cat on June 24, 2001 at 07:13:36:

In Reply to: I need motivation!! posted by Burned out on June 23, 2001 at 20:52:19:

Are you taking lessons currently? If not, try this... I'm not studying with anyone over the summer from what I can tell, but my goal is to accomplish as much as possible by September. Sit down with a notebook, or your computer, and make a list of goals you'd like to accomplish. For me, there were solos to learn for a recital, three to four etudes each week from different books, and solos to review. Also, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish in my playing. On top of musical improvements, I made a list of other things in life I can improve that will help my playing and general well-being. From this view I sort of look at it like teaching myself. I need something to keep me pushing along, and even if I must function as my own teacher, with honesty and a tape recorder, I find it will work.
As far as just playing, surround yourself, if possible, with new experiences. Listen to as many players as possible, especially if they are younger than yourself. A year ago this would have made me quit, but lately I've realized I have as much of a chance as anyone, and it is really motivational to hear others whipping at me. Read musicians' biographies, even non-tuba players. Read about what people have had to overcome to get their careers happening. As for new playing experiences, seek out new people or situations. A friend of mine works with a guy who is really into progressive / fusion type music (think Frank Zappa) and some styles of 20th Century music (George Crumb, etc.) He is a true genius, and improvs in all modes, just composing by sitting at the keys. He wants me to play tuba and euphonium with his project! This is a totally new, yet very valuable, experience I will be working with. So not only will live gigs be included, but recording an album in the studio is also on the list. So I know I will have to keep up my playing in order to do something like this.
I hope something here is helpful. Sorry to have rambled on. Just keep your goal in clear sight and remind yourself of what you believe life is about. Like someone else said, be an artist... give tuba your own touch and you might get the feeling back.
peace. (:

Follow Ups: