Re: I need motivation!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 24, 2001 at 10:38:28:

In Reply to: I need motivation!! posted by Burned out on June 23, 2001 at 20:52:19:

I know that being a professional player introduces a whole new set of problems when you run into this wall. Obviously, I can't have "bad" days, it could cost me my job. Further, I can't depend on motivation to inspire me to work even though it is nice to have that. I do two things when I feel the need for motivation:

1) When I least want to practice, it always seems like this is the time I will make the most improvement if I practice anyway. I know that sounds backwards, but I don't believe at this point that I necessarily have to be motivated to make improvement. It's nice but I can still function without it. Very often, I'll make the most progress in my practice when I am in the darker moods. Perhaps the lack of enjoyment focuses my concentration better and I get more done? Your guess is as good as mine. In any event, these episodes always pass (at least they always have) and I'm invariably happy when I'm back in the chair doing what I love.

2) I always remember that being a musician is not always the only thing I want to do. When Roger Bobo retired from the LA Phil, he was at the height of his profession. And he later proved that by having an extremely successful run of solo engagements since his retirement from orchestral playing. I remember asking myself when he retired why on earth he would quit. He was a relatively young man, was in a first rate orchestra, and playing his butt off. What could be more perfect than that? That taught me that there is a point you reach where you want to do other things, no matter how good you are or how good your current situation might be. I always stay connected with my current desire to play. I know that I'll hang it up when the time comes because I have too much respect for the art to slog through things half-heartedly. Just be sure you're doing what you love and most everything else will take care of itself.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: