Re: time off school (transferring)?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on June 24, 2001 at 17:37:47:

In Reply to: time off school (transferring)? posted by Elizabeth K. on June 24, 2001 at 15:37:27:

Echoing what Farah said, if you have the means to take 5 months off to practise, DO IT!!!

This is essentially what I've done... I had always considered myself a just ever-so-slightly below average tubist.. I had a great teacher, and like you, that teacher was the absolute only reason I had for staying at that school. In a studio with 20 tubists, though, the top 2 get ALL of the gigs and teaching experience, and the other 18 get a music degree in "band". Despite the great studio instruction I was receiving, my lack of interest in my playing opportunities(along with my non-competitive nature... or laziness, whichever) really held me back. So what did I do?

Well, feeling discouraged, I stopped playing for a while... that lasted only about six weeks. Then I moved across the country, and have spent the last year working on my playing. I haven't been able to take it *completely* off(have to pay the bills), but I've taken the year academically off. I've taken a few lessons here and there, but have worked mostly on my own.. this takes A LOT of self motivation(sidenote: it also helps to have someone there to push you, and to support you--not necessarily a "teacher/mentor", but someone who motivates you to develop your abilities. I feel I've accomplished a lot in the last year based on my self-motivation, but I also know that I probably couldn't/wouldn't have done it without the help and support I received from one particular person). After just a couple of months I'd already noticed GREAT improvement in every aspect of my playing, and decided to try to supplement my income by teaching private lessons... I quickly found out that I was the only tubist in the area looking for high school-aged students, and before I knew it I practically had more people asking for lessons then I had time to teach. The teaching experience, combined with my newfound passion for playing has matured me more as a musician than any studio instruction I've ever received.

At about the same time I started teaching, I became acquainted with the local music community through a good friend, and quickly found my way to some of the best playing opportunities in the area, and was also welcomed to perform with ensembles at both of the local Universities. I've continued to play, teach, and progress over the last several months or so, and am finally experiencing what it's like to be a "productive musician", rather than "just another tuba player". So many people contently go through college in that "hump" that you described... learning along the way, but not really progressing as a musician. You can learn everything in the world as a student, but musicianship comes from experience.

Anyways, thanks for reading my rant, hope you were able to pull something worthwhile from it. Best of luck!

Ant

Follow Ups: