Re: Switching Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 25, 2001 at 11:38:39:

In Reply to: Switching Problems posted by Tracy H on June 25, 2001 at 01:59:19:

Tracy,

I agree that it's lots of repitition and time. It WILL come. And since you presumably will be switching back to BBb for your marching band sousaphone in the fall, I'll go ahead and warn you now: you will be nowhere as good on BBb as you are now. There is this transitional time when you aren't as good on either one as you were before the switch. But that's natural, and it's OK. Just think of them as two completely different horns and you'll be fine.

A tip for making the switch that will help a lot long-term: when you get comfortable with Tyrell and Rochut, read music with a LOT of accidentals (like Blazevich). You will hate it for a while. Once you learn how to play an etude in the key of G major, you'll quickly realize that the patterns are the same as familiar old F major. Things will start to click. You're not transposing the music, rather you're transposing your muscle memory to a new pitch. Does that make sense? But it's the accidentals that will trip you up every time. You're running along fine in G Major, and all of a sudden there's a C#, so you just automatically mash 2&3, and whoops! If you had been running along in D Major, the C# isn't an issue, but as an accidental, the visual will throw you off. At least that's where (one of) my weaknesses is.

FWIW...

Steve

Follow Ups: