Re: How can volunteer organizations improve?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 28, 2001 at 10:41:29:

In Reply to: How can volunteer organizations improve? posted by Mr. Curious on June 27, 2001 at 13:37:32:

Both previous comments are on target. Here in Tucson we have two big bands; one is at a lower level and the other is at a high level. The lower level band did bring in a new conductor....and a considerable portion of the band quit after the first rehearsal, including some of the better players. It was more of a social group than a muscial enterprise, and the new conductor made some serious mis-assumptions: he assumed that people actually wanted to improve, and that they wanted to be challenged also. Nix!! He was there for about six months before they drove him out. The next conductor was a band member who has a better approach, but who hasn't done much to improve the organization, because no one will let him.

The other band is by invitation only, but still has some dead wood in it. It is among the better community bands in the country, I think.

If I were you, I'd feel out the people and see what they want, as a band. If they want to improve, the 2-part rehearsal schedule sounds like a great idea. If they don't want to improve, then you should think about starting your own band, with all that entails.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: