Re: How can volunteer organizations improve?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carroll on June 28, 2001 at 14:58:48:

In Reply to: How can volunteer organizations improve? posted by Mr. Curious on June 27, 2001 at 13:37:32:

I hope this post is not so late on the thread that no one reads it. I must take exception with your comments on the community band. It should not be a professional level organization. Please let me explain my position. My wife and I have both played in community bands in every town we have lived in. We have played there... together. We do not have very many opportunities to perform musically together. While I am a professional musician, she is a physician. She is one of those people you speak of who "will not practice", she does not have the time or inclination. She does, however, love to play. I have turned down numerous invitations to play with community bands because they did not want her, as well. I do, however, pursue an active playing life with my quartet, several pro jazz and big bands, and a professional wind ensemble. All of these playing opportunities are highly competitive audition situations. But the community band is different. It is pluralistic and relaxed. Sure, it is not the hottest band around, but we love the people and the experiences it affords.

Perhaps you should enjoy at your community band for what it is, and pursue higher quality playing in other groups.

Follow Ups: