Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Great tubas you have owned

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale donning nomex Phelps on June 29, 2001 at 19:11:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Great tubas you have owned posted by Lew on June 29, 2001 at 14:05:52:

Hi Lew (and countless others) Rising to the bait, I'd have read Brian and Keat's "sentiment" about "cutting" that particular grand Holton as being "risk-related" rather than BBflat -v- CC related. Distinct from a custom horn made using big BBflat bells and bows, the big 6/4 horns when shortened or "cut" to CC usually exacerbate the weaker playing characteristics of such large instruments. For some reason the ones made in CC do not show this as often, which is odd given all that's been said about "factory methods" for manufacture at Holton (for example) back in the 60's/early 70's.

As far as such extensive mod to a jumbo as even "cutting", Mr. Rusk told me he would not start one of those jobs with a "bad" horn, but that there are no iron-clad guarantees that the finished product will be a "good" horn. Given the current crob of fab big-beasties (as Lew pointed out) the "risk" of hosing an 8-12K BBflat Holton is likely
huge. Why mess with a great horn?

I've heard Keat play his big Holton, and it's an awesome-sounding, special instrument. BUT the same "qualities that made them great" are found in same-period/vintage Holton horns that just happened to be made in CC, call them "brothers and sisters" if you will.

Be reminded too, that each horn BBflat OR CC WAS basically a one-off. Example, a friend went to the factory in 71 there were two being made, and there was a full 4" difference in the overall height of the horns!

In the case of the big "Jacobs-model" Holtons, it's a Holton thing, and not a BBflat -v- CC thing. NOTHING matches the splendour of those special few old Holtons made from the early 60's til around 1974 or so. But then, what do I know really? The guy who bought the second of "those two" swears by the YB's and 2165's, and his music gig's just a little BIT better than mine, so ...... f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: