Re: Did you attend Curtis?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Bubacz on June 29, 2001 at 21:34:51:

In Reply to: Did you attend Curtis? posted by Jason June on June 22, 2001 at 20:18:56:

I think that so much time was spent flame throwing that the original question was forgotten. I did attend Curtis Institute from 1992 to 1995 and I currently make my living from playing the tuba. Therefore, my entire Curtis experience could not have been all that bad. But I digress... What you can expect whould be that following:
You would have to first obtain the Curtis Institute of Music Catalogue/audition packet(if you have not already). Their address is

The Curtis Institute of Music
1726 Locust St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103
(215) 893 - 5252
Fax (215) 983 - 0194

After proceeding through all of the applications process, you would then have a live audition. Paul Krzywicki's audition list has been pretty consisent over the years. I would assume that it is still the same. When I auditioned and when I graduated, the list was 1. two contrasting etudes of Vasiliev, Blazhevich, Rochut or the like.
2. orchestral exerpts from Berlioz, Prokofiev, and Mahler.
3. first movement of Vaughan-Williams tuba concerto.
4. first movement of the Malcolm Arnold brass quintet.
Since there is only one tuba student at a time at Curtis, you must be able to demonstrate your ability to perform well all of the preceding. You will be playing all the time in orchestra, orchestral repertoire class, a brass choir and brass quintet.

Getting to the audition, it's really not that different than auditioning at any other school. At Curtis, you must audition live, unless you are from a very distant point on the globe. The people who hear the audition are Paul Krzywicki, the graduating student and (when I graduated) the bass-trombonist who was going to be remaining another couple of years at school. We were picking the dude who he would have to sit beside. You will be asked to play a little of everything from the audition list, so have everything well prepared.

Sometimes, if a few of the auditionees are neck and neck, there will be a final round and then someone is selected. It's as simple as that! I hope that this was of some assistance to you. If you would like to chat some more, Email me at the following:

bubatuba71(AT)aol.com
Eric C. Bubacz

Follow Ups: