Re: German and American "sound"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Oomph Pah, Oomph Pah on June 30, 2002 at 17:10:42:

In Reply to: German and American "sound" posted by Thomas on June 30, 2002 at 16:14:35:

Excellent question. I've often wondered that myself, as I muddle through post after post that refer to this or that horn as having a more German sound. Confused, sure I am. I don't feel bad, as the few answers that I have heard so far to that question only indicate that those who I have talked to, can't specifically define it.
Is it the brightness, brilliance, timbre, volume, or even how dark or fat the sound? Or could it just be the noise that the valves make. Should be an easy question to answer. Many have used the description, but as yet no one has been able to explain it to me.
I did search, but did not find the earlier post that someone referred to. Maybe the post is just as elusive as the answer.
I myself have been able to make any horn that I've played sound German. As German as most of the explanations that I've heard. Just try it yourself. Oomph Pah, Oomph Pah can sound very German on most any horn, even to the less discriminating untrained ear.

Follow Ups: