Re: Re: OFF TOPIC- Bass Sax repair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on June 01, 2002 at 22:47:20:

In Reply to: Re: OFF TOPIC- Bass Sax repair posted by js on June 01, 2002 at 20:34:13:

The "crack filling" solder sounds like the way to go. It might also work good around the inside of the tone holes to insure the tone holes don't leak.

As far as I know the sax was manufactured in 1926. The sax is a Lyon and Healy, which was a Martin stencil. Using the serial number as a Martin serial number it came up 1926.

As you might of guessed from the $300 price, the sax needs a lot of work. The upper stack of keys was run over by a truck at one time. But the lower stack are fine and the bell, bottom bow, and upper bow are also good. It has the gooseeck that is usable, and even has a mouthpiece. So even if I screw up everything that I do to "fix" the sax, I suspect the usable parts I'd be able to sell at leas for my $300 investment. I actually managed to remove most of the dents from the main body of the horn (good enough that all tone holes will seal) even though the upper portion was squashed to less then 3/4".

Follow Ups: