Re: Re: Re: New Mouthpieces unveiled at ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on June 03, 2002 at 18:21:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: New Mouthpieces unveiled at ITEC posted by yes there is one on June 03, 2002 at 17:28:53:

Not to disagree, but by most standards the C-4 has a tight throat and a wide rim. Not what Joe spec'd.

I think Joe's looking for something stock that combines C-4 kinda cup with the throat, backbore, and rim as more typically found on various Helleburgs.

I don't have a mile between my upper lip and my nose, so I don't like wide rims. Some time ago I modified a spare C-4 in pursuit of a mouthpiece as described above. I Drilled out the throat to 5/16" or so, opened some of the back bore to shorten the long throat that resulted from drilling it out, and spun the rim down (by a crude means I'm ashamed to share - I don't have a lathe) similar to the contours of a Schilke Helleburg. It works.

Of course the rim, except for the inner 'bite' is raw brass now. It's a real "Barker" on American style horns, with snappy attack, bright-but-Fat tone, and an easy, but barky low register. I don't use it often, but it is just the ticket in a sonically muddy hall, or if a lighter-but-still-loud sound is needed, or for any occasion when you just wanna "cut bricks". It sounds like a C4 should on Euro-style horns, but with more dynamic potential.

FWIW,

Mark "can you hear me now? . . . Good." Mazak

Follow Ups: