Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on June 04, 2002 at 07:58:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: BBb piston tubas at ITEC posted by EdF on June 03, 2002 at 21:02:32:

I'm trying to remember if anyone won an audition on a jupiter tuba lately?

If you have read any of my postings, you would discover that I have been a supporter of horns that are cost effective and capable of producing the larger sound while in the hands of the normal high school player. (not to demean those many outstanding high school players who are willing to commit to purchasing a great horn and study privately, but for the other 90% of the sections).

My experience has been that there is a level of player that should be performing on a certain level of instrument to obtain the optimum sound teamed with the optimum size of instrument (both bore size and horn size).

Some people say that a person playing a better horn makes the person sound better. Some say that a person playing a better horn makes the horn sound worse. I feel that some of each statement is true.

My comments ae based on the experience of having normal players at best playing on horns that are making them sound better than they really are.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: