Re: Re: Re: San Jose Symphony Folds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zac on June 05, 2002 at 12:18:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: San Jose Symphony Folds posted by Barry Guerrero on June 05, 2002 at 02:11:42:

Interesting points Barry, but I don't think SJSO should try to compete with SFSO. It can not be done. Instead they should be complimentary or supplementay to what goes on across the bay. If you try to go head to head with SFSO you will lose. On a much smaller scale a similar incident happened locally. There is the city's orchestra. Not full time but a full orchestra that will play the big stuff at least once per set so they can get work out of the tuba player. Just up the road was a nice little chamber orchestra that did the smaller rep with much less players. Now a some of the symphony players played in this orchestra and some just played in this chamber group. Everything was going great but then a new musical director came in and started doing the big stuff, full orchestra rep and the nice chamber orchestra no longer exists. By no means am I saying SJSO is a chamber orchestra or that they should become one but I think you have to realize your place in life.

Myself, obviously I am a tuba player, I like to hear brass players and the big stuff, Mahler, Strauss, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner and so on. If you notice SF doesn't really program alot of that stuff like they used to with Blomstedt. There are lots of pianists and vocalists rep that I enjoy but when I spend my bucks to see SFSO I want to hear Glenn, Mark, and whoever they decide to play tuba play it like only they can.

just my little opinion

Zac

Follow Ups: