Re: Re: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on June 05, 2002 at 12:36:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos? posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2002 at 10:12:54:

B&S F tubas are not "small", whether they have a slower taper through the first 1-1/2 feet of tubing or a faster taper (the only considerable difference between all of the B&S F tubas offered). I think the fellow was investigating small F tubas.

My comment addressed the original question. I will misquote because I did not review any of the posts just now, but I recall the original inquiry being about smaller F tubas. I think my remark (again, I didn't click up there and review it) stated that of the tubas mentioned in the various given reponses, the Alex was the classiest. So far, no one had mentioned anything about Yamaha 621 (small) F tubas or Willson (oversize) F tubas.

I agree that some tubas play some pitches easier than others. Many F tubas offer trade-offs between easy response in some ranges and horribly out-of-tune pitches in other ranges. Your post brings all of those compromises to mind.

Follow Ups: