Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hand bruising due to playing euphonium?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on June 05, 2002 at 22:44:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hand bruising due to playing euphonium? posted by Doug on June 05, 2002 at 20:40:14:

Something I'm looking into. Normal bending uses pitch or lead to fill pipe, and yes, there would be some distortion, though when done carefully not much. The big problem with bending brass tubing is that the outside radius needs to stretch while the inside tries to become corrugated or just plain collapse. A lot of modern hydraulic techniques see the pipe, which has been collapsed placed in a mold and blown up like a balloon. This really controls the outside dimension to the closer tolerance while the inside is "near enough is good enough".
I heard about this in an old WWII "newsreel" type production about the Australian production of Bombers. It sounds very interesting!
The idea was to be able to bend hydraulic lines without distorting the inside of the pipe. It almost sounds like some sort of mercury amalgam which wouldn't be so nice and I don't know how rigid the filler would be.
Hey, I don't mind sharing the profits - after all half of FA is not going to be missed!!!! I could swear Brian owes me some royalties for suggesting they put the CSO brass on CD! Then there are the royalties for convincing Mienl Weston to start producing an F tuba over 30 years ago when they did not have one on the market. Oh well, one day...........

Follow Ups: