Re: Re: Re: Famous Bohland & Fuchs wanted

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 06, 2002 at 20:57:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Famous Bohland & Fuchs wanted posted by olituba on June 06, 2002 at 04:05:01:

Your statement, combined with my other informations leads me to some questions:

The M-W site says this:

197:
Model Walter Hilgers
5/4 size
4 rotary valves
Bore: .846in
Bell diameter: 18.1in

198: same, with 5 rotary valves, 5th valve in 4th valve slide

When this model was first issued about a decade ago, it was announced to be a replica of a tuba built in 1938 for the band of one of the two SS-regiments, that formed the personal lifeguard of the little corporal with the toothbrush moustache. Only that a 4th valve had been added with a dependent 5th valve being an option.

I investigated the acquisition, for myself, of this model trough the MW factory. They related me to a very knowledgeable international tubist/tubadesigner for further information.

He told, that this tuba was founded on an older Cerveny design. This does not exclude, that Bohland & Fuchs also has made similar models.

Back in the early days of valved brass design knowledge travelled in the shape of skilled humans. The chief journeyman of a successful master craftsman opened up his own shop, or he was headhunted by the competition. Often after meticulously having copied the sketch- and notebooks of the master.

Some of you might know, that I wrote a booklet for the celebration of the second century of the Danish brass house of I. K. Gottfried (the link points to an English translation not done by me).

One aspect not told of there is that the now defunct split-off company of Schmidt-Copenhagen openly produced a valved alto trombone as an "I. K. Gottfried model". I have seen a Schmidt made and a Gottfried made instrument side by side. They are obviously identically dimensioned, but for the fact that one of them has a minor third 3rd valve, whereas the other has a major third 3rd valve.

I strongly suspect a similar relation between the companies of Cerveny & Sons and of Bohland & Fuchs. Cerveny being the hen and B&F being the egg. But I would very much appreciate references to details, preferably in form of links to articles represented on the net. I am illiterate in Czech, but German is OK.

Then there are a number of political/national aspects of the Cerveny/B&F relations.

Cerveny undoubtedly is of Czech origin from the northern brim of Bohemia, called the Sudetenland. B&F just as surely is of German origin from Moravia (at least according to my memory).

Volker's statement of B&F being especially popular in Germany is a bit of a surprise to me. German eBay certainly tells, that Cerveny is much more widespread in Germany than B&F. But that might just be illustrating a discrepancy between amateur quantity and pro-level quality.

I also would like some links referring to articles on this matter.

Klaus

Follow Ups: