Re: flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jts on June 10, 2002 at 11:04:43:

In Reply to: flying posted by Steve on June 10, 2002 at 10:32:37:

With some of the stuff posted after September 11th (I think a prominent player, maybe Dave Zerkel, told of his experiences.) it is recommended to absolutely nail down the particular airline's policy on size restrictions of luggage, airline's liability, and airline's extra charges for oversize luggage. Probably, you should even have this stuff printed out on paper, in your hand, and dated, if possible.

My guess is that with the combination of greatly heightened security and greatly reduced fares, the airlines are sticking to their policies when it comes to any possible extra charges or prohibitions.

My first instinct would be to consider a streamlined and protective hard case(s) which might slip by the size requirements...and pack minimal clothes/toiletries in the case(s).

As tempting as it might be to ship the tuba(s) separately, rounding up equipment at a separate location in a strange town (at some shipping depot, Amtrak/Greyhound station, ,etc.) - and with a deadline - seems to me like a possible nightmare situation.

Follow Ups: