Re: Chinese tubas??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 12, 2002 at 14:02:44:

In Reply to: Chinese tubas?? posted by David on June 12, 2002 at 12:55:37:

I have asked him about these in the past and he had no clue what they were. I would avoid buying anything from someone who isn't sure of what he is selling. You are correct about the consensus about these horns.

You will find very mixed reviews of the St. Petes. Quality of workmanship has been questionable on these. A well respected repairman posted about his experience with the ones that he saw commenting on the poor quality of the plating, valves, soldering, and linkage. Also, they are a very large bore tuba. I find that for amateurs a smaller bore horn is easier to handle and to maintain consistent intonation. I would avoid them.

Check the "Shops" links on this site. Many of these vendors have a good inventory of used tubas at reasonable prices. You will find that you can often find older good brand tubas for less than even the used prices for a St. Pete. I assume that you are looking for a BBb horn (especially since you mention the St. Pete). One way to save a good amount would be to go for a 3 valve instrument. If you can afford the 4th valve it is worth it for intonation and to extend the low range, but a 3 valve BBb tuba is adequate for almost all amateur playing situations.

The brands worth considering would be King, Conn, Besson (Boosey & Hawkes), Yamaha, Miraphone, Meinl-Weston, or Jupiter. Also Martin or older Olds or Holtons tubas, although there will be less of these around. One of the shops has a 3 valve Olds 99, for example, for sale for about $1500. This would be a fine horn for an amateur getting back into playing. Expect to pay over $2000 for a 4 valve horn, and probably closer to $3000.

Follow Ups: