Re: Ever feel like you can't make it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather McDown on June 12, 2002 at 16:05:25:

In Reply to: Ever feel like you can't make it? posted by JB on June 12, 2002 at 15:50:21:

Whereas I am (probably) a lot younger than you, being 17, I get discouraged and "burned out" on occasion. I just felt as if my placement in the brass world was awkward (I used to play cello), and that I didn't belong. Like everyday was a constant battle and frustration for wanting to succeed. Every musician, I BELIEVE, is some sort of a perfectionist, and I wanted to be perfect without giving myself time, or a chance. I made a post here on the BBS a few months about it, and some people suggested changing my practice routine to adding different things each time I practice (my instructor also encourages that). I know that won't help in the area of you not knowing what to do with your future, but it helps in other areas.

On the other hand, I have always had WONDERFUL instructors. My instructor that I had from Sept. of my 9th grade year until the end of my Sophomore year in high school was SO encouraging. He always told me that I would succeed if I never gave up (even when I cried!) and here I am, still trucking along. My current instructor is such a HUGE inspiration for me. He helps me when I am so frustrated that I just want to pull my hair out. He even talks to me if I need someone to talk to about non-music related things, if I just wanna talk. He is such a wonderful person, I couldn't ask for better.

So what I'm saying that's the key (or one of the keys) to success is that you HAVE to have encouragement. Grasp every oppourtunity you get to play. Really focus on the small details that will make you big. NEVER GIVE UP if playing is what you REALLY love. I know a lot of people that give up easily, and it shows because they don't REALLY love playing. I know that music is going to be my future, that's why I am not giving up. My instructor (current) once said, "Music chose me, I didn't have a choice." So therefore if music *truly* is your thing, you CAN succeed. It's just all a matter of will-power.

Hope this helps, even though it was kind of long and drawn-out.

Best wishes,
Heather

Follow Ups: