Re: Re: Lippin'n' Slidin'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on June 12, 2002 at 16:18:41:

In Reply to: Re: Lippin'n' Slidin' posted by throws like girl on June 12, 2002 at 14:22:52:

On my mirafone CC tuba I pull and push the 1st slide for many notes. It is in constant motion. I know that it may be possible to use alternate fingerings or to lip the notes into submission but I am more pleased with the consistent sound of adjusting the slide rather than my face.

In contrast, I almost never move the slides on my Meinl Weston F tuba. With a couple of alternate fingerings I am close enough on all notes to leave the slides alone. Admittedly, the reason I don't move the slides much on this horn has nothing to do with musicality, but rather because of ergonomics. Simply, the slides are just too darned difficult to comfortably reach...especially the first slide.

Unlike other posters on this BBS, I have never found a tuba that requires no manipulation to play well in tune. I suspect that some of us may have taught themselves to lip the notes into pitch unconsiously or just play out of tune. I bet it is more often the latter.

Follow Ups: