Re: Ever feel like you can't make it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on June 12, 2002 at 20:18:09:

In Reply to: Ever feel like you can't make it? posted by JB on June 12, 2002 at 15:50:21:

I FEEL LIKE THIS CONSTANTLY

Well, not constantly, but I do go into times of "musical depression" now and then. Usually when I have failed at something, or failed at one thing repeatedly. I had several failures in my undergrad, several years in a row--a young artist competition, Busch Gardens, River City Brass Band sub-list--failed them all. But, I just kept logging hours in the practice room, plugging away, and all of a sudden, things started working for me... I dont even know how. I think it feels like that for everyone.

ANd somehow I got a gig, that confused me even more. I will tell you one thing, though... My failing auditions became a success once I started NOT CARING abour winning. I mean, I wanted to win, of course, but I won the gig when I really didnt mind losing. That audition day was just something to do--a nice experience, and I feel that I really played like ME that day, instead of my nervous auditioning self.

Also, note this: ANYONE who gives you unkind comments about your playing is merely INSECURE about their own musicianship. I realized this a while ago. CONSTRUCTIVE, HONEST comments are what musicians need to grow, not insults. Brian Bowman NEVER gave me an unkind comment in the 6 years I studied with him. He told me when I "sucked," told me what could be better, and helped me improve. Never was he insulting or condescending. We are learning a skill, and our level or progress in this skill has no reflection on our qualities as a person, so try not to take unkind words personally--just know that the person saying them has some severe personal insecurities...

Keep on working man, it will happen, and you will have no idea how or why.

Dean

Follow Ups: