Re: College Audition/Senior Recital Rep.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on June 12, 2002 at 21:32:11:

In Reply to: College Audition/Senior Recital Rep. posted by High School Tubist on June 11, 2002 at 17:11:00:

This all makes me think of the audition I did to get into Northwestern. Went to Orchestra Hall and finally got to meet the man I had heard on record and heard so much about. It had been suggested that I need not cart my own tuba (an old King 3RV BBb) along so I just had my briefcase with a couple solos and Arbans and a few other things in it. Anyway, along came this jolly fellow with a little Mirafone 184 5V CC. I was told to warm up and he would be back in about 1/2 hour.

No, I didn't whip out RVW, though I had worked on it but did not take it along as I was not going to risk having to play something I did not feel 100% comfortable with. Didn't do Carnival of Venice either, though I had it as memorised repertoire.) I did this rather simple looking thing called "Chaconne" (forget the composer right off) and was then asked to play a couple "randomly" selected items from Arbans. Then guess what excerpt as a bit of "sight reading" - must have been his favourite based in his experience - Flying Dutchman!

You do realise that instrument is a C, not Bb tuba don't you?
Yes, but I am used to Bb so thought I better play it as a Bb.
Let's try a couple things playing it as a C.
(Chaconne and Wagner again)
You do adapt well. Sorry I can not spend more time with you now as I must get back to rehearsal, but you will hear from the scholarship/admissions office.
The next time I played in that basement room was a private audition 3 years later for Antal Doratti.
Advised to take same approach and only take the music I was prepared to play. Shame the anticipated opening didn't open.

Lesson = KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Follow Ups: