Re: Convertible Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 12, 2002 at 22:08:56:

In Reply to: Convertible Tubas posted by Steve Perry on June 12, 2002 at 19:28:22:

Chalk up another vote for sousaphones vs. convertable tubas. Sousaphones will sound better, be easier to carry, and won't be destroyed quite as quickly from being dropped (thrown?) to the ground. On the other hand, he may be looking to save money by only having convertable tubas and using them both indoors and out. I still think that's a bad idea because all convertable tubas are smaller and won't have as full a sound to support a concert band and will end up getting beat up from marching use anyway.

If he is set on convertables then the ones to consider first would be the Yamaha 105M or the King 1140M. The Yamaha 201M is also ok, but it is a little large for most people's shoulders. The Jupiter models 380 and 384 and Amati models 221 and 223 are also available as convertables. They play ok, but aren't as sturdily built as the King or Yamaha.

Kanstul (www.kanstul.net) also makes marching tubas that can be ordered as convertables. I have never tried them, but have heard good thing about their quality. The nice thing about them is that the valves are more comfortably positioned for marching than on other convertables. The downside is that the valves look a little awkward when in "concert" position. This is just based on photos I have seen because I have never tried one. Prices are also likely to be a little higher than the others mentioned.

Follow Ups: