Re: Taking time off....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The ? Is on June 13, 2002 at 04:06:13:

In Reply to: Taking time off.... posted by college student on June 13, 2002 at 02:34:44:

Are you starting to feel guilty, as you say (presumably about not practicing and thus worried about what others will say....you naughty boy, go to your room and practice NOW), or are you missing playing ( it is what I really love doing - it is my life making music come out of this miracle of modern plumbing technology - and if I am not doing it I am not really being ME??????????????????????

IF it is a case of somebody else expecting you to do it you could be heading toward something which will just be a job....a real chore.

If you feel "guilty" because you feel in yourself that you WANT to practice because it brings some personal pleasure from working and achieving.....maybe it is time to start practicing and forget the "quilt". (A "guilty" feeling can actually be a longing for comfort which comes from doing what one loves doing, eg a feeling of something lacking.)

If you are just feeling out of sorts because you are not doing what is YOU - get to it!!

A break can be a very good thing as it can give you a chance to examine your goals, your dedication, and whether or not making music is REALLY YOU. A fresh perspective can be very positive.

Find your very best confidant - not necessarily best friend - and sit down and have an arguement with them observing. Argue the case of "Tuba practice for me is/is not what I want to be doing because I really do/do not want to dedicate my university years and possibly the rest of my life to making music with a big, dumb lump of brass in my face".

See how you feel after all that. If you come up with a real gut feeling - and I do mean how you "feel" in your "gut" that continued practicing to achieve a certain standard is what you really want to do and that making music is what YOU are REALLY all about get to work.

IF you don't feel a bit of "fire in the belly" this break might just be a very good time to put your life plans in perspective and maybe reconsider your life goals.

Hey, there is nothing at all wrong with deciding that maybe something a bit (or VERY) different might be a better choice.

"They" say life is what you make it. You will only achieve your goals if you define and work toward them. You still might not make it, but you can at least get the satisfaction of having tried your best at whatever you aim for.

A word of caution......... No matter what you decide to aim for, you might not get to go there so be a bit flexible, understanding of and helpful toward others and enjoy life along the way. Learn a lesson from everything you do, even if it seems a negative - at least you then learn something to avoid. ( Did you ever get a smack for raiding the cookie jar when your mother told you to keep out of it?)

Music and life REALLY are just about synonymous. Give and take..........and learn how to have a good laugh.

All the Best

Ken Herrick (been there, done that too)

Follow Ups: