Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 13, 2002 at 09:39:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flying posted by Hmmm on June 11, 2002 at 22:25:30:

I don't know what you mean by "hmmmm". Are you suggesting that I'm not telling the truth?

Some airports are still pretty lax, but that is fading fast. Since 9/11, I've been searched in many places (Los Angeles, Memphis, Birmingham, Denver, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Chicago, Washington, to name those that I can remember off the top of my head), but least often at my home airport--Dulles. I'm glad your formula has worked for you. But what if it doesn't? You could be stuck with a shipping bill of several hundred dollars (this happened to a friend traveling through Dulles with a Rudy Meinl in a Unitec case--before 9/11), or you could be moved into a line you don't expect, with resulting massive delays. I've seen security-checkpoint lines at Dulles that overflowed the large serpentine roped-off queue and wrapped halfway up the length of the terminal. But that line moved quickly compared to the ticket counter line. Had I been traveling with checked baggage, and had the skycap at the curbside check-in refused it for any reason, I'd be likely to miss a flight if I hadn't allowed the necessary three hours to get through those lines.

Airport staffs are subject to MUCH greater scrutiny than in the past, and some of them react to that scrutiny by going absolutely by the book without the slightest deviation. Trouble is, you can't tell who your are going to get until it's too late. And they won't show you the book.

Rick "who thinks it is getting worse, not better, because people are flying again" Denney

Follow Ups: