Re: Re: Russian (?) helicon, huge throat, pics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 13, 2002 at 10:23:05:

In Reply to: Re: Russian (?) helicon, huge throat, pics posted by Ian Easton on June 13, 2002 at 08:42:49:

There is a very thin line between Sean's clearly understandable wish not to make this an auction advertisement platform and my wish to relay interesting pictures to the board.

As I tread some paths not trodden so much by other boarders I happen to find something interesting from time to time.

The helicon in question is sold by a German seller, who is selling immense numbers of Russian brasses out of an address not far from the former GDR. He maintains, that they come from the breaking up of a collection.

I rather would say, that he exploited the disastrous economy of the Russian army, when it had to withdraw from GDR. They had no dorms for the lower ranks. And they did not know what to do with the officers and their families. These had had a privileged life in the GDR, which was the technology wizard of the evil empire. And Russia (/Soviet) simply had calculated the camps/officer-housings in the dependent states as a part of its domestic (not very good) housing plans.

Hence they sold whatever they could. I do not know if it still is so, but there have been MIG's in the united German airforce. And some of the Soviet army stayed in Germany, without any real duties, fairly long after the wall fall. It belongs to the story, that the withdrawal put an enormous stress on the railway system of Poland. (Sorry to be long about the circumstances, but they hardly are well know by most boarders).

I have heard a similar, but somewhat smaller helicon, live. It can be described somewhere in the area between.

effective laying down of the beat

an overblown contrabass trombone

sandstorm in Sahara

plain ugliness

Make the pick yourselves!

Klaus

Follow Ups: